There's no doubt that the doldrums of the current global economy will heavily influence this holiday shopping season, but this ad by Lowe London for John Lewis hopes to attract buyers of a different sort.
The £5.6-million John Lewis campaign shows intimate shots of individuals, followed by the perfect present for that individual. The lover in the first image gets a set of tapered candles; the drowsy man in the second image gets an espresso machine. The strapline, "If you know the person, you'll find the present," brings the theme of perfect gifting home.
I typically detest holiday shopping ads, but John Lewis' holiday campaign strikes the right chord. One excellently-chosen gift that is perfect and appropriate for its recipient is better than thousands of impersonal gift cards or standard, thoughtless gifts.
The soundtrack to this ad also adds to my appreciation of it; the classic "From Me to You" recorded by The Beatles and penned by Lennon/McCartney has been re-recorded with vocals from Matt Spinner.
The John Morris holiday ad was created by a team that includes copywriter and art director Ed Morris, production company Therapy Films and director Malcolm Venville.
John Lewis 2008 Holiday Shopping Ad Campaign
1. Personalized Holiday Gifting - The trend of personalized gifting is not limited to the holiday season, but presents opportunities throughout the year for companies to offer customization and personalization options for gifts.
2. Intimacy in Advertising - The trend of intimate advertising, like John Lewis' ad campaign, presents opportunities for companies to create emotional connections with their customers through relatable and personalized marketing content.
3. Memorable Marketing Soundtracks - The trend of using memorable and recognizable soundtracks in marketing campaigns, like John Lewis' use of The Beatles' "From Me to You," presents opportunities for companies to leverage the power of nostalgia and emotion in their advertising efforts.
1. Retail - Retailers can benefit from offering personalized gifting options, such as customized products or gift wrapping, to enhance customer experience and drive sales.
2. Marketing and Advertising - Marketing and advertising agencies can capitalize on the trend of intimate and personalized advertising by creating campaigns that speak to customers on a relatable and emotional level.
3. Music and Entertainment - Music and entertainment companies can explore opportunities to partner with brands to license recognizable and memorable songs for use in marketing campaigns, presenting a new revenue stream and increased exposure for their artists.