As Japanese waistlines expand, so is the market for girdles -- for men.
A new line of male underwear that flattens the stomach and lifts the hips proved so popular when introduced on a trial basis last month that some stores quickly sold out. "Men are getting so much more fashion conscious these days that they're starting to pay attention to the lines of their body and their silhouette, just like women," said a spokeswoman at Triumph International Japan, a leading underwear firm.
Triumph marketed two different types of "long girdle" -- one from the navel to the knees, and the other a "hip hugger" version to be worn with low-waisted pants.
1. Rising Demand for Male Girdles - The growing popularity of male girdles demonstrates an opportunity for fashion brands to tap into the expanding market of men's shapewear.
2. Menswear Fashion Consciousness - The increasing fashion consciousness among men presents an opportunity for companies to innovate and develop more body-shaping products specifically designed for men.
3. Shifting Beauty Standards for Men - The shift towards beauty standards for men, as evidenced by the demand for male girdles, opens up opportunities for companies in the beauty and grooming industry to cater to the changing needs and preferences of male consumers.
1. Fashion and Apparel - The fashion and apparel industry can leverage the rising demand for male girdles by introducing innovative designs and materials that provide shaping benefits without sacrificing comfort.
2. Beauty and Grooming - The beauty and grooming industry can create disruptive innovations by developing new products tailored to enhance men's body shape and provide solutions to address specific areas of concern.
3. Retail - Retailers can take advantage of the increasing demand for male girdles by expanding their product offerings and providing a wider range of options to cater to the evolving preferences of male consumers.