Internet lag can be one of the most frustrating parts of online-surfing—especially when watching your favorite shows. Who wants to watch a spinning color wheel interrupt their screens every two seconds or view a slow-motion, distorted video clip? Nobody.
Swedish network provider UmeNet came up with a clever experiment that sheds light on those issues. The network’s employees gave a wearable device called Oculus Rift to four volunteers. The device let them experience Internet lag in real life.
Titled ‘Living With Lag,’ the experiment features Oculus Rift feeding them a three-second lag display. They were then put in much needed real-time scenarios like dance class and cooking. Of course, they were unable to perform properly because of the lag. The results are rather frustrating to watch.
UmeNet Launched an Experiment That Lets Users Experience Internet Lag
1. Virtual Reality Experiences - Using Oculus Rift to simulate Internet lag in real life can inspire the development of virtual reality experiences that highlight the impact of lag on various activities.
2. Eliminating Latency - The frustration caused by lag in online activities can drive innovation in developing technologies or solutions that minimize or eliminate latency, improving user experiences.
3. Enhancing User Engagement - Understanding the impact of lag on user engagement can lead to the creation of interactive content and platforms that optimize performance to enhance user experiences and increase engagement.
1. Telecommunications - The telecommunications industry can explore innovations to improve network infrastructure and reduce latency, providing customers with a seamless online experience.
2. Virtual Reality - The virtual reality industry can leverage the insights gained from simulating lag experiences using Oculus Rift to design immersive and realistic virtual environments.
3. Streaming Services - Streaming services can invest in technology advancements to minimize buffering and enhance the quality of content delivery, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted streaming experience for users.