Singapore-based artist Ng Weijiang uses the Instagram grid function to create interesting surreal collages. In creating his collages, Wejiang uploads single images that when put together create a seemingly realistic photograph. At closer inspection however, the nine distinct photographs create the illusion of one unified image.
Weijiang intricately chooses the perfect picture which then builds on others to form a collage. One example includes a picture of birds flying in the center, surrounded by a series of buildings, all taken from the perspective of the ground. A closer look however shows that each picture surrounding the birds are of a different building, but create the illusion of a panoramic picture.
Interestingly, Ng Weijiang is using the Instagram grid, a seemingly insignificant function as the canvas for his surreal photography.
Ng Weijiang Uses Instagram Grids to Create Striking Optical Illusions
1. Surreal Photography Collages - Artists using Instagram grid to create optical illusions through collages.
2. Perspective Trickery - Creation of surreal collages using different camera perspectives and placement.
3. Grid-based Art - Using seemingly insignificant features of social media platforms as new tools for creating art.
1. Social Media - Opportunities for new art forms utilizing grid functions on social media platforms.
2. Photography - The use of perspective and collage formations as new techniques in photography.
3. Art - Exploring the boundaries of what can be considered art by using unconventional platforms and techniques.