The iconic blue Ikea shopping bag has been redesigned, to the shock and dismay of hardcore fans around the world. Yet the reasoning behind it is quite logical. The bright color has often been associated with cheaper products and the Swedish furniture company is looking to embrace a higher-end vibe. The result? An Ikea shopping bag that is now grey with forest green handles.
Unveiled at the third annual Democratic Design Day media event held at IKEA HQ in Älmhult, Sweden, the new Ikea shopping bag was revamped by Rolf and Mette Hay. In addition to a more luxe perception, the design embraces Scandinavian roots. Marcus Engman, designer manager of IKEA, says, “When we see the world is changing, how people live is changing, how people use products is changing, we have a duty to reinvent our basics. Still with a typical IKEA design sensibility, so that you can see that it is us from the beginning, so you can see that it relates to our Scandinavian heritage, which is part of being IKEA."
The Ikea Shopping Bag Gets an Updated Look for a Higher-End Feel
1. Higher-end Redesign - The trend of redesigning products with a higher-end look to attract a more sophisticated consumer base.
2. Embracing Minimalism - The trend of embracing minimalistic design principles and Scandinavian roots for a sleek and modern aesthetic.
3. Shifting Brand Perception - The trend of companies rebranding their products to change the perception of their value and target different markets.
1. Retail - Retailers can explore disruptive innovation opportunities by redesigning their packaging to appeal to higher-end consumers and convey a sense of luxury.
2. Home Furnishings - The home furnishings industry can find disruptive innovation opportunities by incorporating minimalistic designs and Scandinavian influences to create a more sophisticated product line.
3. Consumer Goods - Companies in the consumer goods industry can capitalize on disruptive innovation by repositioning their brand through product redesigns to shift consumer perception and attract a different demographic.