Design company, Wutopia Lab, created a garden-inspired bookstore that officially opened in Shanghai this past May. Using traditional Chinese gardens as the design focal point, the bookstore boasts bookshelves made from perforated aluminum and quartz stone. The bookshelves also double as partition walls to create a maze-like store layout.
Comprising of cave-like interior spaces, the bookstore claims 452 square meters. Small trees and potted plants add natural elements to the store's interior, while a water feature adds a sense of peace and serenity to the atmosphere. Wutopia Lab founder Yu Ting explained the client's specific vision: "He wanted to create a bookstore that showcases a lifestyle and is able to combine flowers, wine, tea, and carefully selected books."
Image Credit: Dezeen
Wutopia Lab Created a Garden-Inspired Bookstore in Shanghai
1. Garden-inspired Design - The design trend of using traditional Chinese gardens as a focal point for building interiors presents an opportunity for companies to create unique and innovative spaces.
2. Multipurpose Bookshelves - The use of perforated aluminum and quartz stone for bookshelves that double as partition walls presents an opportunity for companies to create multifunctional spaces that save on materials and space.
3. Maze-like Store Layouts - The creation of maze-like store layouts using bookshelves as partition walls presents an opportunity for companies to create a unique shopping experience that encourages exploration and discovery.
1. Retail - The retail industry can adopt garden-inspired design and maze-like store layouts to attract customers with a unique shopping experience.
2. Architecture - The architecture industry can incorporate multipurpose bookshelves into building designs to create flexible and efficient spaces for various industries.
3. Interior Design - The interior design industry can explore the trend of garden-inspired design to create calming and nature-filled spaces that promote wellbeing and productivity.