Uber recently acquired the Postmates food delivery platform in a 2.65 billion USD deal, which is scheduled to close in the first quarter of 2021. The recent acquisition is now the largest American deal involving a food delivery platform. Uber also indicated that it will operate Postmates as a sperate platform from its existing Uber Eats app.
The deal will drastically increase Uber Eat's market share, especially in Los Angeles where it will have the largest market share of any food delivery service.
Dara Khosrowshahi, the Uber CEO, released a statement about acquiring Postmates, “As more people and more restaurants have come to use our services, Q2 bookings on Uber Eats are up more than 100 percent year on year. We’re thrilled to welcome Postmates to the Uber family as we innovate together to deliver better experiences for consumers, delivery people, and merchants across the country.”
Image Credit: Uber Eats
Uber Recently Purchased the Postmates Food Delivery Platform
1. Consolidation of Food Delivery Platforms - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the food delivery industry by consolidating multiple platforms, increasing market share, and offering better experiences for consumers, delivery people, and merchants.
2. Separate Platforms for Food Delivery - Innovation opportunity lies in operating separate platforms for different food delivery services, allowing for targeted marketing, customization, and catering to specific consumer needs.
3. Market Expansion in Los Angeles - Opportunity to disrupt the food delivery market in Los Angeles by gaining the largest market share through strategic acquisitions and providing superior service to customers.
1. Food Delivery - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the food delivery industry by leveraging acquisitions, technological advancements, and improved customer experiences.
2. Technology - Innovation opportunities in technology by developing advanced platforms, algorithms, and delivery solutions to revolutionize the food delivery market and enhance customer satisfaction.
3. Logistics - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in logistics by optimizing delivery routes, improving efficiency, and providing timely and reliable food delivery services in a competitive market.