When designing a family home in the small Portuguese village of Azeitao, Extrastudio, a Lisbon-based architecture studio, looked to the building's history. The original space was a winery, and so in renovating the building and converting it into a family home, Extrastudio played off of wine's famous coloring by covering the new home in red-tinted mortar.
The original winery was built by the family's grandparents in the early 20th century, but it has not produced wine for some time. Rather than tearing down the original building, though, the family insisted on maintaining an orange orchard in the backyard, which meant that the walls couldn't be reshaped or adjusted structurally. Instead, Extrastudio thus worked to give the new home its own character without erasing its past.
Extrastudio Has Designed a Former Winery With a Bright Facade
1. Colored Mortar Design - There is an opportunity for construction and architecture firms to explore the use of colored mortars for homes, offices and other buildings, creating visually impactful and unique designs.
2. Heritage Building Renovation - Renovation and conversion of heritage buildings, like wineries, is an emerging trend for architecture studios and contractors to cater to clients who want to preserve the buildings' historical value while repurposing them for modern residential and commercial use.
3. Integrating Backyard Farms Into Design - Designers and builders can take inspiration from Extrastudio's approach of integrating backyard farms in their designs, making use of existing green spaces and adding value to homes and communities in the process.
1. Construction - Opportunity for construction companies to offer customized colored mortar designs for upcoming projects and stand out in the market.
2. Architecture - Architecture studios can specialize in the renovation and conversion of heritage buildings that come with unique design challenges and help their clients preserve history.
3. Real Estate Developments - Developers can incorporate backyard farming into the designs of their residential communities and offer sustainable living solutions to homebuyers who value green living.