Located on Death Strip, the piece of land along the former Berlin Wall where people used to be shot and now a waste land dedicated to sculptures, French artist Etienne Boulanger formed a one room hotel between billboards. It definitely is a Room without a View. A night costs a mere Euro 20.- (approx US $ 30.-). It is on view (or use) up to March 2008.
It is accessible by ladder and is a fully equipped as a two star hotel room.
Philip Horst, one of five artists running the Sculpture Park Berlin Centrum, said, "Boulanger's idea was to make use of an economic cycle and use the rented out advertising spaces to finance the hotel."
See Etienne Boulanger's website.
Vacant ready and ITN UK
Etienne Boulanger Pod Hotel in Berlin
1. Pod Hotels - Opportunity for innovative hotels to offer small, affordable and unique accommodations in unconventional locations.
2. Billboard Advertising - Opportunity for advertisers to think creatively in utilizing billboard spaces for alternative purposes, such as financing other ventures.
3. Micro Tourism - Opportunity for travelers to have unique and immersive experiences by staying in unconventional accommodations, like the single room hotel between billboards.
1. Hospitality - Disruptive innovation opportunities to create innovative and affordable hotel solutions, like pod hotels.
2. Advertising - Disruptive innovation opportunities to rethink the use of billboard spaces beyond traditional advertising, such as financing unique projects like the one room hotel.
3. Travel and Tourism - Disruptive innovation opportunities to cater to travelers seeking unconventional and immersive experiences, such as micro accommodations in unusual locations.