Starting this May, the city of Montreal is set to start an innovative bicycle taxi service. This eco-friendly merge of public transportation and environmental interest also provides exercise for the user.
In this case, the current movements toward protecting the environment, unhinging traffic congestion, and getting fit have been neatly bundled into one.
3,000 bicycles will be distributed at various solar-powered pay stations around Montreal. For a fee, users can pedal their way from point to point throughout the city. The bicycles have been supplied to the city by ‘Bixi,’ whose urban bike squad will be campaigning for public utilization.
We’ve seen public bike share programs before, and not all have been met with rousing success. Montreal’s program, designed by Stationnement de Montréal, aims to take the best aspects of popular programs in other cities and improve upon them. For example, the Bixi bikes are sturdy and have built-in anti-theft features. And both the bikes and their stations have been especially designed to blend in with the cityscape.
Montreal to Launch Public Bicycle Program in May
1. Eco-friendly Transportation - The merging of public transportation and environmental interest offers disruptive innovation opportunities for businesses in the transportation industry to create more sustainable solutions for commuting.
2. Urban Bike Squad Campaigning - The concept of bike squads campaigning for public utilization offers disruptive innovation opportunities for businesses in the marketing industry to create unique outdoor campaigns that encourage physical activity.
3. Smart Bike Technologies - The use of sturdy, anti-theft bikes with solar-powered pay stations provides disruptive innovation opportunities for businesses in the technology industry to create smart bike solutions for urban transportation.
1. Transportation - Businesses in the transportation industry can utilize disruptive technologies to create more eco-friendly solutions for urban commuting.
2. Marketing - Businesses in the marketing industry can create innovative outdoor campaigns focused on physical activity and environmentally-friendly transportation options.
3. Technology - Businesses in the technology industry can use smart bike technologies to improve urban transportation infrastructure, reduce carbon footprint, and enhance user experience.