The Dodai Bench is at once simple and intricate. Made out of Igusa, a type of woven grass, and Hiba, wood from a Japanese cypress, it sports a uniform colorway that gives it a minimalistic touch. Nevertheless, the carved details and mat-like surface of the Dodai Bench heightens the basic aesthetics for a piece of furniture that is worthy of being displayed at the exhibition Simple Vision, which is coordinated by Japan Creative.
Designed by Peter Marigold and manufactured by Japanese furniture company Hinoki Kogei, the Dodai Bench was created using a single log that was cut in half. Expertly fashioned, the woven grass mat that lays on top of the wood can be pulled back to reveal storage underneath.
The Dodai Bench is at Once Simple and Intricate
1. Woven Grass Furniture - Opportunity for creating unique and eco-friendly furniture using woven grass as a material.
2. Minimalistic Design - Opportunity for designing furniture with clean lines and uniform colorways for a minimalist aesthetic.
3. Hidden Storage Solutions - Opportunity for incorporating hidden storage compartments into furniture pieces for a more functional design.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Opportunity for furniture manufacturers to explore the use of woven grass as an alternative material.
2. Interior Design - Opportunity for interior designers to incorporate minimalistic furniture designs with woven grass elements in their projects.
3. Storage Solutions - Opportunity for companies specializing in storage solutions to integrate hidden storage features into furniture designs.