Germany’s international broadcaster Deutsche Welle has launched it's Free Speech campaign with a new short film that highlights what keeps autocrats up at night: a free and independent press.
A working, independent press plays a major role in countries where people and the press are silenced or censored. DW hopes that its new short film and the accompanying campaign will draw attention to this issue and its consequences. “It’s our goal to work independently and provide unbiased information to people worldwide – especially for those in regions that suffer from limited access to news and reports,” says Peter Limbourg, DW’s Director General. “Our journalists don’t shy away from topics that some see as critical or controversial – and we will continue to do so in the future.”
The advert features a unique soundtrack written specifically by British musician Kelvyn Hallifax that improves the storytelling dramatically and makes the message much clearer. The numbers speak for themselves: the campaign has had over 17 million views worldwide and the soundtrack is the most asked-about aspect of the video on social media.
Image Credit: Deutsche Welle
German Broadcaster Deutsche Welle Launches a Free Speech Campaign
1. Free-speech Campaigns - Creating campaigns that promote free and independent press, regardless of political boundaries.
2. Unbiased Journalism - Working on unbiased reporting with a focus on topics that others might shy away from.
3. Music-storytelling Collaboration - Partnering with musicians to improve storytelling in advertising campaigns.
1. Media and Journalism - Reinventing the way media and journalism works to promote free speech campaigns and unbiased reporting.
2. Music Industry - Building partnerships between music talents and advertising industry to strengthen storytelling in campaigns.
3. Nonprofit Organization - Investing in organizations for systemic and transformative change for a free and independent global press.