Mexican-American boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya has launched a Spanish-language sports, travel and lifestyle cable TV channel called, fittingly, De La Hoya TV. The Olympic gold medalist and 10-time world champion unveiled the project at the National Association of Television Program Executives conference in Miami.
While De La Hoya TV will look to be a "premiere authority on boxing and other combat sports", its tagline 'Beyond Boxing' hints at a broader range of programming.
The channel is the result of a collaboration between De La Hoya, media executive Victor Hugo Montero and international boxing promoter Pepe Gomez.
This is an initiative that makes a lot of sense given the huge popularity of combat sports and MMA among U.S. Hispanic audiences, who total more than 50 million. De La Hoya's personal brand will ensure that this channel will attract plenty of interest once it launches in spring 2015.
De La Hoya TV Makes Use Of A Boxing Legend's Personal Brand
1. Spanish-language Sports TV - Opportunity to capture the growing market of Spanish-speaking sports enthusiasts.
2. Beyond Boxing Programming - Chance to explore a wider range of content beyond traditional combat sports.
3. Targeting U.S. Hispanic Audiences - Opportunity to cater to the large and engaged market of Hispanic combat sports and MMA fans.
1. Broadcasting and Media - Potential for disruptive innovation in creating specialized TV channels targeting specific audiences.
2. Sports Entertainment - Opportunity to discover new programming formats and engage with diverse combat sports enthusiasts.
3. Hispanic Marketing - Chance to tap into the growing Hispanic market and develop tailored content and advertising strategies.