The Cultivate London YouTube video shows smiling faces describing its mission -- in theory and practice. As a horticultural social enterprise, the goal is to reuse "derelict land" in order to create productive urban farms, which then lets them sell the delicious produce. That's all and nice, of course, but the main goal -- and where the profits from the produce end up -- is to support their job training youth program, which serves mostly long-term unemployed youth from 16 to 24.
Founded in 2010 by Charity Housing Pathways Trust (CHPT), Cultivate London currently has three locations in Brent Way, Commerce Road and London Road. It continues to be supported by CHPT as well as other sources.
Cultivate London website
Cultivate on Twitter
Cultivate on Facebook
Cultivate London is a Social Enterprise Growing with Community
1. Urban Farms - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Implementing urban farms in cities to create productive and sustainable food sources, while also providing job training opportunities for youth.
2. Horticultural Social Enterprises - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating socially-focused enterprises that repurpose unused land for farming, generating profits to support job training and community development projects.
3. Youth Job Training Programs - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Establishing job training programs for long-term unemployed youth that leverage agriculture as a means of skill development and employment opportunities.
1. Agriculture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating urban farming practices into traditional agriculture to increase food production and address sustainability challenges.
2. Social Entrepreneurship - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Promoting the growth of socially-focused enterprises that prioritize community development and job creation through innovative business models.
3. Youth Employment Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Expanding job training programs for unemployed youth by incorporating agricultural-based skill development to increase employment opportunities.