Verizon recently acquired a video-based conferencing app named BlueJeans, however, none of the financial details about the purchase have been released publicly. The deal is scheduled to close within a few months, and after that, the telecommunications company indicated that it will integrate the conferencing app into its wireless capabilities. According to Verizon, the integration could be used in various ways, including improving telemedicine services, as well as remote learning.
The acquisition is timely for Verizon, as many people are now communicating using similar platforms. Many of BlueJeans’ competitors are currently seeing record numbers of users. Additionally, if Verizon can integrate the platform into other services, it can protect its investment against a drop in users when people return to normality.
Image Credit: BlueJeans
Verizion Purchased the Bluejeans Video Communication Platform
1. Video-based Conferencing Acquisitions - Verizon's acquisition of BlueJeans is indicative of a trend towards major companies expanding their video conferencing capabilities and investing in companies that can help facilitate that expansion.
2. Integration of Conferencing Apps Into Telemedicine and Remote Learning Services - Verizon's stated plans to integrate BlueJeans conferencing app into its wireless capabilities suggests a potential trend of integrating these kinds of apps into other services, like telemedicine or remote learning.
3. Competitive Conferencing App Markets - The record numbers of users seen by BlueJeans' competitors and the potential for other major players to enter the market suggest that video conferencing apps are becoming increasingly important and an area for potential growth.
1. Telecommunications - Verizon's acquisition of BlueJeans and plans for integration may disrupt the telecommunications industry by putting more emphasis on video-based conferencing services.
2. Healthcare - The integration of conferencing apps into telemedicine services may disrupt healthcare by making remote consultations more easily accessible and streamlined.
3. Education - The integration of conferencing apps into remote learning services may disrupt the education industry by making online learning more efficient, interactive, and engaging.