MIT debuted an innovative new concept that could entirely change design: color-changing paint. The proprietary paint, called ChromoUpdate, is clear in color but has a light-sensitive feature that shifts the paint's color when exposed to different intensities of UV light. Using targeted UV light, the color-changing paint can be quickly drawn over in grayscale and then painted precisely with UV light, creating custom designs. These two processes not only allow for an endless number of different designs to be readily projected onto an object but the designs could then be altered or repainted perpetually.
The color-changing paint could become an essential tool for product designers, providing them with an all-in-one coloring solution that would save them time and money. For consumers, the color-changing paint could be used to reinvigorate or reinvent older products like t-shirts or phone cases with new designs or color schemes. Because of its reusable properties, the paint could prove a valuable asset in the move toward recyclability and sustainability.
Image Credit: Fast Company
MIT Created ChromoUpdate: a UV-Activated Color-Changing Paint
1. Color-changing Paints - Development of color-changing paints with light-sensitive features create endless possibilities for customizable designs in various industries.
2. Uv-activated Coatings - The integration of UV-activated coatings in various products provide opportunities for unique designs and sustainable solutions.
3. Recyclable Paints - The creation of recyclable paints may disrupt the paint industry and provide eco-friendly alternatives for both consumers and manufacturers.
1. Product Design - Color-changing paints could revolutionize the design process by providing a more efficient and cost-effective all-in-one coloring solution.
2. Fashion - The application of ChromoUpdate may bring endless possibilities for customizable designs on clothing and accessories.
3. Automotive - UV-activated coatings could be integrated into automotive paint and reduce waste as well as provide for unique paint options.