'Balancing Act' is a city budgeting app that gives residents the power to weigh in on their city's finances. The new app is designed to promote transparency and citizen participation by giving constituents the opportunity to interact with their city's budget.
One of the main aspects of the Balancing Act app is that it provides citizens with a full breakdown of their city's budget in the form of adjustable pie charts. Beyond providing information on a city's finances, the app also allows citizens to experiment with hypothetical budgets. Citizens can adjust taxes and spending in order to suit different priorities. The project allows citizens to participate in city budgeting and weigh in on issues that might concern them.
The new app not only promotes transparency, but it also helps city governments better understand the needs and input of their constituents.
The 'Balancing Act' App Lets Constituents Help Balance Their City’s Finances
1. Citizen Budgeting - With apps like Balancing Act, citizens can have direct input into their city's budgeting, providing opportunities for more direct democracy.
2. Transparent Finances - Balancing Act's adjustable pie charts provide an easy-to-read window into a city's finances, offering opportunities for greater transparency.
3. Participatory Budgeting - Apps such as Balancing Act offer a chance for constituents to propose and experiment with new budgets, leading to participatory budgeting opportunities.
1. Government Services - Balancing Act highlights opportunities for greater public engagement and participation in the budgeting process, providing an inroad for innovative government service providers.
2. Data Analytics - Balancing Act's pie charts offer an example of easily digestible data presentation, showcasing opportunities for data analytics firms to apply similar techniques in other domains.
3. Civic Engagement - City budgeting apps like Balancing Act demonstrate how technology can offer greater opportunities for civic engagement and community involvement.