Christo Guelov is a talented artist from Bulgaria who recently took to Spain's capital to add a number of colorful components to its rather drab street crossings. Photographer Rafael Perez Martinez captured these artworks.
For each, Christo Guelov filled the void space between the white stripes with unique geometric designs. These vary, however, all make use of a vibrant palette that adds a contemporary touch to Madrid's classic appearance. For one piece, Christo Guelov painted large pebble-like shapes on the zebra crossing, swapping between hues of orange, yellow, pink and purple to make them stand out.
In another, he connected the white stripes with clean-cut triangles. In addition to making the streets a little more appealing to look at, Christo Guelov claims that the transformed zebra stripes enhance both driver and pedestrian focus.
Christo Guelov Artfully Transformed Madrid's Zebra Crossings
1. Colorful Street Crossings - Opportunity for cities and urban planners to add vibrant and visually appealing designs to traditional zebra crossings.
2. Geometric Art Integration - Artists and designers can explore the integration of geometric patterns and shapes to transform mundane street elements into visually striking works of art.
3. Enhancing Driver-pedestrian Focus - Innovative approaches, such as using unique designs on zebra crossings, can promote greater attention and focus from both drivers and pedestrians.
1. Urban Planning - Urban planners and city officials can adopt creative street design strategies to enhance the aesthetic appeal of cities.
2. Art and Design - Artists and designers can explore new opportunities to integrate art into public spaces, such as painting geometric patterns on street crossings.
3. Transportation - Transportation authorities and safety organizations can investigate the impact of visually engaging zebra crossings on driver and pedestrian behavior.