More than 400 concepts were submitted to the third annual LG Mobile Phones design competition this year, which involved more than $80,000 in prizes. Winning models included 3-D interfaces, a so-called Flutter phone that opens like a fan to reveal a touch screen, even a phone for the blind with a Braille keyboard.
Design blog Hongkiat.com and the Trend Hunter site both have long lists of such futuristic models.
But perhaps the next big breakthrough in phone construction will be models that are flexible and can be wrapped around wrists like a watch or twisted into a bud that attaches to the user's ear.
Trend Hunter was recently cited in Chicago Tribune for our extensive list of features on futuristic cellphone gadgets. Touching upon the ideas of wrist-wrapped cellulars and 3D interfaces, the article gives an interesting overview of the most intriguing concept phones that have hit the Internet world.
1. 3D Interfaces - The development of advance 3D interfaces for mobile phones provides opportunities for disruptive innovation in the smartphone industry.
2. Flexible Screens - The innovation of flexible screens will allow manufacturers to create smartphones and related gadgets that can be bent and twisted into new form factors.
3. Wearable Tech - The growth of wearable tech will drive innovation in the smartphone industry towards the development of wrist-wrapped cellular and mobile devices.
1. Mobile Phone Manufacturing - The mobile phone manufacturing industry can benefit from investing in research and development of flexible screens and wearable tech.
2. Consumer Electronics Retail - Consumer Electronics retailers need to keep up with the rapidly changing innovations in mobile phones to ensure they meet customer needs and demands.
3. Telecommunications - Telecommunications companies will need to adapt to the innovative mobile gadgets and devices to meet the changing needs of their customers.