In an effort to appeal to the large Spanish-speaking demographic that's present in the "Windy City," The Chicago Blackhawks announced its partnership with Univision to offer Spanish radio broadcasts of its games.
The partnership saw 25 different games broadcast in Spanish, which aired on Univision Deportes Radio (WRTO AM 1200). Commentating the games was Univision's Hector Lozano and Omar Ramos. In addition to the team's regular schedule, the company broadcast the 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, an outdoor match the team played against the Boston Bruins. According to NHL.com, this marked "the first Spanish-language broadcast of a Winter Classic since its inception in 2008."
It's anticipated that the team will continue its work with the company to broadcast its games in Spanish, and will also work with it to promote hockey to Latinx youth, and further engage with the community.
Image Credit: NHL.com/Chicago Blackhawks Media Relations
The Chicago Blackhawks Joined with Univision to Broaden Its Fan Base
1. Spanish-speaking Sports Broadcasts - Opportunity for sports teams to cater to the Spanish-speaking demographic by offering broadcasts in their preferred language.
2. Multicultural Fan Engagement - Increased focus on engaging diverse communities through partnerships with media outlets that cater to their cultural backgrounds.
3. Promoting Sports Diversity - Efforts to promote sports like hockey to underrepresented communities, such as the Latinx youth.
1. Sports Broadcasting - Opportunity for broadcasting companies to expand their offerings by providing Spanish-language coverage of sports events.
2. Sports Marketing - Opportunity for marketing agencies to develop campaigns that target diverse audiences and promote sports to underrepresented communities.
3. Youth Sports Development - Opportunity for organizations to focus on developing sports programs specifically tailored for underrepresented communities.