These prints by the suddenly-ubiquitous graffiti artist Banksy, recently sold for £96,000(about $152,000) at the Bonham's Urban Art auction. The painting is the artist's take on Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe. Only instead of Monroe's image, Banksy has used Kate Moss. Luxist notes, "In terms of pop art, Kate Moss is definitely a successor to Marilyn Monroe as a most used (or perhaps overused) icon
Is Kate a sound investment? Asks Luxist. Luxist further notes that, "pictures of Kate Moss by a variety of artists have commanded high prices in several auctions. "
Banksy's Kate Moss Sells for $150,000
1. Pop Art Resurgence - The resurgence of pop art in the art world presents innovative opportunities for artists to reinterpret iconic images and create unique, contemporary pieces.
2. Celebrity as Artistic Inspiration - The popularity of artworks featuring celebrities like Kate Moss demonstrates the potential for artists to leverage the fame and influence of public figures in their creations.
3. Art as an Investment - The increasing demand and high prices for artworks featuring influential figures like Kate Moss suggest a growing investment opportunity in the art market.
1. Art Auctions - Art auctions can capitalize on the rising popularity of pop art and celebrity-inspired artworks to attract collectors and investors seeking unique pieces.
2. Graffiti Art - Graffiti artists have the opportunity to incorporate iconic images and celebrities into their work, creating visually appealing and culturally relevant pieces that resonate with audiences.
3. Luxury Collectibles - Luxury collectible markets can take advantage of the demand for high-priced artworks featuring celebrity icons, offering exclusive pieces for discerning collectors seeking unique investments.