Part of a groundbreaking project started by sculptors Brendan Jamison and Mark Revels, these images show a community-based work of art.
Called Sugar Metropolis, the project asked visitors to the Ulster Museum in Belfast, Northern Ireland to participate in the creation of this expansive sugar cube-sculpted metropolis. Now Brendan Jamison and Mark Revels are seeking to do this again, only this time in the Sugar Hill district of Harlem, New York; they are seeking funding on KickStarter. Similar to the project in Northern Ireland, Sugar Metropolis will use almost 500,000 sugar cubes and collaborate with potentially thousands of people from the community.
With Sugar Metropolis Brendan Jamison and Mark Revels seek to "celebrate the power of collaboration in art" by creating artwork that goes "beyond any one person's singular vision."
Brendan Jamison and Mark Revels Build Sugar Metropolis
1. Community-based Art - Opportunity for artists to engage with communities and create collaborative artwork that transcends individual vision.
2. Sculpture Projects - Emerging trend of large-scale sculptures created through unique materials and community involvement.
3. Crowdfunding for Art - Growing trend of artists using crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter to fund ambitious art projects.
1. Art - Opportunity for art galleries and museums to support and showcase community-based art projects.
2. Event Planning - Opportunity for event planners to organize and coordinate community engagement projects centered around art installations.
3. Crowdfunding - Opportunity for crowdfunding platforms to cater to the increasing demand for funding art projects that involve public participation.