While many animal cafes revolve around the concept of getting some one-on-one time with cute critters, the planned Blobfish Cafe takes a different approach by providing the unique experience of hanging out with what was voted the world's ugliest animal. To open in East London's Shoreditch neighborhoodin 2016, the Blobfish Cafe will have three blobfish members; Barry, Lady Swift and Lorcan.
Something of an Internet phenomenon, the blobfish gained notoriety and carved out a place for itself in the pop cultural zeitgeist after being voted the world's ugly animal in a survey conducted by the Ugly Animal Preservation society.
Blobfish are a unique animal that lives 300-feet below the surface of the ocean. Due to the high pressurized environments at that depth, the blobfish's slightly scary appearance is likely a reaction to the different conditions out of the water.
The Blobfish Cafe in Shoreditch Will Have Three Blobfish Hosts
1. Ugly Animal Cafes - The trend of opening cafes that specialize in exotic animal species to attract customers with unique experiences.
2. Animal Cafe Experiences - The trend of offering unique animal experiences in different environments such as cafes, zoos or sanctuaries.
3. Pop Culture Influence on Animal Tourism - The trend of pop culture impacting the tourism industry by attracting visitors interested in experiencing famous animal species.
1. Tourism - Offering unique animal experiences can attract more visitors to a region or country, creating new opportunities for local businesses and attractions.
2. Animal Conservation - Ugly animal cafes can raise awareness and funds for animal conservation by showcasing and educating people about endangered and lesser-known animal species.
3. Hospitality - Ugly animal cafes can be an innovative addition to the food and beverage industry, creating new opportunities for restaurant or cafe owners to create unique experiences for their customers.