A company says it will make ethanol for the U.S. at less than a buck a gallon. They will refine what's known as biomass which is available for 65 cents per gallon. The technology uses low energy to make it efficient to produce the biomass which can be used to produce ethanol.
Ethanol currently uses corn and the price is steadily escalating.
Implications - Consumers are looking to purchase products that are more environmentally friendly in an effort to combat the negative effects of the modern lifestyle. Consumers are thrown off of eco-friendly products as they are not necessarily cost-efficient at first (as most of these products boast a long-term savings versus a short-term). Therefore, by offering cheaper, eco-friendly products, companies are more likely to see benefit.
1. Low-cost Ethanol Production - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Companies can capitalize on the demand for cheaper and more environmentally friendly fuel alternatives by implementing low-energy biomass refining technology to produce ethanol at a cost of less than a dollar per gallon.
2. Environmentally Friendly Products - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Businesses can meet consumer demand for eco-friendly products by offering cost-efficient alternatives that not only benefit the environment but also provide immediate savings to customers.
3. Sustainable Biomass Utilization - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Industries can explore the use of biomass as a sustainable and renewable resource for various applications, such as ethanol production, creating opportunities for more efficient and environmentally conscious processes.
1. Ethanol Production - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Companies in the ethanol production industry can adopt low-energy biomass refining technology to significantly reduce production costs and offer ethanol at a much lower price point.
2. Alternative Fuel - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The alternative fuel industry can leverage low-cost ethanol production from biomass as a disruptive innovation, providing a more affordable and sustainable option for consumers.
3. Renewable Energy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The renewable energy industry can explore the utilization of biomass as a viable resource for producing ethanol and other sustainable energy solutions, contributing to a greener and more efficient energy sector.