Change might come slowly to big corporations, but with slumping sales as a huge motivator, it's no wonder the latest Barbie Fashionitas line is finally more diverse than ever before. It boasts three new shapes -- curvy, tall and petite -- that will not only encourage the acceptance of diversity at a young impressionable age, but also speak to mothers (and fathers) who are particularly sensitive to the subject matter themselves.
A big step in the right direction, the Barbie Fashionitas line may have taken some time to develop, but it's better that it's done properly than at all. After all, as Barbie design VP Kim Culmone said in 2014, "Barbie’s body was never designed to be realistic. She was designed for girls to easily dress and undress."
The Latest Barbie Fashionistas Line Boasts Curvy, Tall and Petite Models
1. Diverse Dolls - The expansion of more diverse dolls (race, body types, etc.) creates opportunities for more inclusiveness in children's toys.
2. Body Positivity - Creating toys that promote body positivity and self-confidence can disrupt the way children perceive themselves and their peers.
3. Parental Preferences - Toys that appeal to parents who are dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse environment for their children provide an opportunity to capture a growing target market.
1. Toy Industry - The toy industry can create more inclusive and diverse toys to encourage acceptance in children.
2. Fashion Industry - The fashion industry can work towards creating more body positive publications and promotions that cross over to toys and other industries.
3. Marketing Industry - Marketing campaigns can be used to promote more differences and promote inclusiveness within various industries.