About two years ago, Brazil instituted a zero tolerance policy on drunk driving. Despite the policy, over 35,000 people died of car accidents in Brazil last year, indicating that more needed to be done to support the cause.
Two popular drinking destinations in Brazil, Bar Aurora and Boteco Ferraz, were the perfect places to initiate this campaign by Ogilvy Sao Paulo. In Brazil, healthcare isn't always fully covered. Since fines and penalties haven't done much to scare people from drinking and driving, what if people were shown the amount it would cost them if they got in a serious accident? In Bar Aurora and Boteco Ferraz, customers received fake receipts that showed the staggering costs in health-related expenses it would cost them if they got into drunk-driving incidents. People were shocked and the campaign was highly effective.
Bar Aurora and Boteco Ferraz Warn Drinkers About Drunk Driving
1. Drunk Driving Prevention - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in creating effective campaigns and initiatives to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving.
2. Healthcare Cost Transparency - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in educating people about the financial impact of healthcare expenses related to accidents and injuries.
3. Behavioral Change Through Shocking Campaigns - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in developing impactful campaigns that use shock value to change people's behavior and attitudes towards drinking and driving.
1. Hospitality - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the hospitality industry to implement responsible drinking initiatives and support campaigns against drunk driving.
2. Healthcare - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the healthcare industry to develop cost-effective solutions for treating injuries and accidents caused by drunk driving.
3. Advertising and Marketing - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in the advertising and marketing industry to create compelling campaigns that address societal issues like drunk driving.