Autonomous vehicles well and truly here to stay, and few automakers have both embraced and acted on this reality with quite as much conviction and engineering prowess as Japanese automaker Nissan. Nowhere is this more clear than in the case of the new Nissan Serena, a high-tech minivan that will be equipped with autonomous driving technology.
This particular autonomous vehicle will be equipped with Nissan's proprietary ProPILOT system, which is designed specifically to tackle the challenges of highway driving. The ProPILOT system makes use of data captured by a mono camera to detect lane markings as well as the presence of vehicles nearby. This enables the vehicle to maintain a secure distance behind other vehicles, while staying in the center of the lane.
The application of this autonomous vehicle technology to a minivan proves that, at some point, every class of vehicle is likely to come equipped with autonomous technologies.
Nissan's New Autonomous Vehicle Includes Lane-Recognition Technology
1. Autonomous Minivans - The rise of autonomous minivans and people movers fueled by lane recognition technology provides opportunities for businesses focused on transportation, tourism, and hospitality.
2. Propilot System - The development of the ProPILOT system for highway driving creates opportunities for innovation in automotive and transportation technology.
3. Autonomous Vehicles in Every Class - The application of autonomous vehicle technology to a minivan indicates that every class of vehicle is likely to come equipped with autonomous technologies in the near future.
1. Automotive - This trend presents an opportunity for automakers to develop new models and technologies for minivans and other people movers with autonomous capabilities.
2. Transportation and Logistics - The rise of autonomous minivans opens up possibilities for new ride sharing and delivery services that capitalize on the technology’s capabilities.
3. Hospitality and Tourism - Autonomous minivans can be used to transport guests in hotels or resorts, providing new transportation options that enhance the overall guest experience.