Interactive artist Austin Houldsworth wanted to know if he could speed up the fossilization process, and so he built a machine that was purported to do just that. Accelerating the process from a few million years to a few months, he was actually able to fossilize a pheasant within little time.
Of course, Austin Houldsworth's main goal is to petrify a human body. Called 2 Million & 1AD, this project is still a work in progress. As the artist notes, "I believe I’ll be working on this particular project for a very long time."
Austin Houldsworth Wants to Petrify a Human Body
1. Accelerated Fossilization - Opportunity for developing technologies that can speed up the natural fossilization process.
2. Human Body Petrification - Exploring methods and technologies to petrify human bodies for preservation purposes.
3. Long-term Artistic Projects - Increasing interest in artists working on projects that require extensive time and dedication.
1. Paleontology - Innovating in the field of paleontology by developing tools and techniques for accelerated fossilization.
2. Biotechnology - Exploring biotechnological methods for human body preservation and petrification.
3. Fine Arts - Supporting artists in their pursuit of long-term, ambitious projects that push boundaries and challenge traditional concepts.