Marianna Pappa has designed a green way for travelers to get around Athens aptly dubbed 'Athens by Bike.' Athens by Bike centers around a series of electric bike charging stations and information kiosks. Pappa proposes putting 11 of these stations around the ancient city as a way to encourage tourists to abandon their tour buses and cars in favor of bicycles.
Each information kiosk also doubles as a bicycle rack/recharging station. Each station would be fully self-sufficient with solar panels on the roof, providing the power needed to recharge the bike's batteries. Eco-tourism is just starting to gain hold around the world. Tourism boards would benefit the environment and themselves (renting out electric bicycles to tourists would cost little) by acting upon green initiatives like Athens by Bike.
'Athens by Bike' Brings Eco-Tourism to Ancient Greece
1. Eco-tourism - Using sustainable practices and eco-friendly transportation options in the tourism industry.
2. Electric Bikes - Utilizing electric bikes as a sustainable and convenient form of transportation.
3. Solar Powered Infrastructure - Implementing solar-powered charging stations and information kiosks for electric bikes.
1. Tourism - Opportunities for tourism boards to adopt eco-tourism initiatives that promote sustainable practices and alternative transportation.
2. Bicycle Rental - Innovative bicycle rental services focused on electric bikes to cater to eco-conscious tourists.
3. Renewable Energy - Developing solar-powered infrastructure solutions for electric bike charging stations and other similar applications.