Commissioned by the Abu Dhabi Art Festival to construct a temporary art pavilion to provide a sustainable resting area designed to give shelter and a place that serves as a refuge from the scorching sun, Japanese architecture firm Shigeru Ban has managed to create an extremely unique and carbon footprint friendly space that is predominantly built using cardboard cylinders. The area 'Design Souq' is a modern and innovative design that aims to retain the regional culture and heritage by creating an open forum for visitors and tourists alike to meet local and international artisans.
The structure incorporates its expert use of cardboard cylinders that feature tubes that vary in length and size to create a restful sanctuary to weary visitors and artists.
Shigeru Ban Designs Art Canopy Made From Recycled Cardboard
1. Sustainable Architecture - The trend towards sustainability in architecture promotes the use of unconventional materials to construct eco-friendly structures.
2. Cardboard Engineering - The trend in using cardboard as a construction material demonstrates how it can be engineered to provide functional and structurally sound results.
3. Temporary Structures - The trend in temporary structures offers an innovative solution for a variety of events by providing sustainable and low-cost solutions.
1. Event Planning - The event planning industry can benefit from offering sustainable solutions and innovative structural designs to clients seeking unique experiences for their guests.
2. Design and Architecture - The design and architecture industry can capitalize on the use of unconventional materials and sustainable designs for a variety of projects.
3. Sustainability and Recycling - The sustainability and recycling industry can benefit from the use of recycled materials for sustainable construction and architectural projects.