In designing a footbridge for a small community in the metropolitan area outside of Barcelona, architecture studio Alfa Polaris opted for a truss design. Though eminently practical, the typology was more than a functional choice. It also stands as a metaphor for the service that the bridge provides for the community as a whole.
Alfa Polaris' footbridge crosses the Mongent River. The small waterway splits Montornes del Valles, a municipality of about 16,000 people total. Around 12,000 of that population lives in Montornes Centre, but the remaining live across the river in Montornes North. By opting for a truss design, Alfa Polaris makes the bridge's sides stand as a visual metaphor for the crosshatching of the two communities.
Beyond its metaphorical value, the bridge is a friendly and convenient conduit for pedestrians and cyclists.
Image Credit: Xavier Font
'Alfa Polaris' Designed a Sleek Footbridge Over the Mongent River
1. Truss Design Bridges - Opportunity to innovate on practicability and use of truss design for pedestrian bridges.
2. Metaphorical Bridges - Opportunity to design bridges that serve a metaphorical purpose for the community they are built in.
3. Pedestrian and Cyclist Conduits - Opportunity to design convenient and efficient footbridges that cater to the needs of pedestrians and cyclists alike.
1. Architecture - Innovation opportunities exist in designing structures that serve both practical and metaphorical functions.
2. Urban Planning - Creating bridges as a means to connect communities and stimulate growth.
3. Transportation - Opportunities to innovate on pedestrian and cyclist access across bodies of water with safe, friendly, and convenient designs.