The adidas x Allbirds FUTURECRAFT.FOOTPRINT is a revolutionary sneaker with a carbon footprint of just 2.94kg CO2e that aims to reduce emissions by 63%. The shoe "showcases a new approach to more sustainable design and an alternative method of manufacturing that drastically reduces carbon impact." Both known for their dedication to sustainability, adidas and Allbirds teamed up from the development to the delivery stage and spent 12 months creating the new sneaker. The final product addresses the need for new and innovative materials and tech-driven manufacturing practices while examining the footwear supply chain and its implications on our planet.
“We believe that the challenge of solving climate change is the problem of our generation and solving it will not be done alone...Our partnership with adidas is an example of that. Over the past year, our two teams have raced as one to create a shoe as close to zero carbon emissions as we could possibly achieve. The results are an exciting step forward, and hopefully, an example for others to follow.” said Tim Brown, co-founder & co-CEO at Allbirds.
“Our partnership with Allbirds is a beacon of what can happen when competing brands from the same industry see the possibilities in coming together to design. By truly co-creating and providing each other with open access to knowledge and resources – such as Allbirds’ knowledge of carbon calculation and experience with natural materials, and adidas’ capabilities in manufacturing and performance footwear – this is a call-to-action for other brands, and a milestone in the sports industry achieving carbon neutrality,” said Brian Grevy, Executive Board Member Global Brands at adidas about the launch.
Spotlighting the best of both brands' core technologies, the adidas x Allbirds FUTURECRAFT.FOOTPRINT features a midsole made with Allbirds' sugarcane-based SweetFoam® material along with a new upper crafted from 70% recycled polyester and 30% natural wood pulp-made Tencel.
Image Credit: adidas
The adidas x Allbirds FUTURECRAFT.FOOTPRINT Shoe is Sustainable
1. Sustainable Footwear - The focus on reducing carbon footprint and using sustainable materials in footwear.
2. Co-branded Partnerships - The trend of companies joining forces to produce products that focus on sustainability and innovation.
3. Tech-driven Manufacturing Practices - Using technology to create sustainable products and reduce carbon emissions in the manufacturing process.
1. Footwear Industry - The challenge is for companies in the footwear industry to re-evaluate their supply chain and manufacturing process to produce sustainable footwear.
2. Sports Industry - Other brands in the sports industry would want to follow suit or explore the possibility of co-branded, sustainable and environmentally friendly products.
3. Sustainable Manufacturing Industry - Companies in sustainable manufacturing should invest in new technologies and processes towards a sustainable future.