Lionel T. Dean is transforming the jewelry industry with his latest 3D-printed gold collection. The project titled 'Precious' includes pieces that range in aesthetics from modern to antique. For example, the 'Orbis' ring looks as it sounds, like a futuristic orb with mathematically symmetrical latticework. Meanwhile, the 'Collect' bangle appears to be an heirloom, with a delicate chalice and a golden tea kettle as charms.
The Precious collection emphasizes modern jewelry-making that uses a digital manufacturing process allows designers to achieve results that couldn't be attained by hand. For instance, 3D-printed gold jewelry can result in more affordable pieces because they can be made with very thin hollow spaces.
While the industry has used 3D-printing relatively consistently for molds, there is a hesitation to print directly with metal as a part of the artistic process may be lost. Lionel T. Dean is demonstrating that with the loss of some aspects of the design process, others are gained.
Lionel T. Dean's 18 Carat Gold Designs Could Change the Jewelry Industry
1. 3d-printed Jewelry - Jewelry companies can explore creating unique and new designs with 3D-printing, potentially creating more affordable pieces.
2. Digital Manufacturing - Adopting a digital manufacturing process presents the opportunity for jewelry-makers to achieve results that couldn't be attained by hand.
3. Modernizing Traditional Techniques - Incorporating digital manufacturing in traditional jewelry-making methods can create pieces that are modern yet timeless.
1. Jewelry - Jewelry-makers should explore utilizing 3D-printing in the manufacturing process as it can offer more affordable pieces while still maintaining quality and unique designs.
2. Manufacturing - Digital manufacturing presents new and disruptive opportunities for jewelry-making, requiring companies to adapt and embrace these new techniques to stay competitive.
3. Art, Design, and Fashion - Integrating digital manufacturing into artistic industries has the potential to make traditional methods more efficient and creates fresh and unique designs to keep up with the evolving trends.