Combining two golden earthquake survival rules into one, Younghwa Lee has designed a sheltering door. Although I don't live in an earthquake ravaged country, even I know to look for a door frame or the underside of a table when you detect a rumbling in the ground.
In anticipation of a devastating earthquake predicted to hit Istanbul by 2030, Younghwa Lee has designed this ingeniously simple door to protect residents from injury and even death. By folding down horizontally, it becomes shelter like a table with the reinforcement of the door frame.
Younghwa Lee Designs a Door that Shields Against Earthquake Debris
1. Sheltering Door Frames - Opportunity for disruptive innovation in designing doors that can also function as shelters during natural disasters.
2. Earthquake Survival - Opportunity for disruption in creating innovative solutions that can protect individuals during earthquakes.
3. Preventive Design - Opportunity to disrupt the design industry by creating products that anticipate and address potential future disasters.
1. Architecture - Architecture industry can explore incorporating sheltering door frames into their designs to enhance safety in earthquake-prone areas.
2. Construction - Construction industry can embrace the trend of earthquake survival by implementing innovative building techniques that prioritize safety.
3. Product Design - Product design industry has an opportunity to create preventive design solutions that can mitigate the impact of natural disasters on individuals and communities.