Not to be confused with Dubai, Abu Dhabi is on a building binge of its own. This is the World Trade Center to be built on Al Raha Beach, the spectacular spit of land for the waterfront east.
Everything that can be housed in a city building will be in this spectacular piece of architecture by Foster + Partners. This is their start toward a strong environmental strategy for their structures.
"The Abu Dhabi World Trade Center is a multi-use building that brings together offices, apartments, a hotel and shops to encourage a constant pattern of economic and social activity throughout the day," Dezeen explains.
"Wrapped in a shimmering skin, the building's sinuous form rises up to a tower at its eastern tip. This distinctive envelope is a reactive louvered shading system that is angled to minimize solar gain depending on orientation. The main entrance to the south connects to a soaring central atrium, which is buffered from the climatic extremes by the apartments and offices that line the perimeter."
The stunning images seen in the gallery were revealed this week at the MIPIM property fair in Cannes. Construction is set to begin early this summer.
Abu Dhabi World Trade Center
1. Green Luxury Buildings - Opportunity for companies to develop eco-friendly structures that are luxurious and sustainable.
2. Multi-use Buildings - Opportunity to create buildings with a mix of functions to promote economic and social activity throughout the day.
3. Reactive Shading Systems - Opportunity to develop shading systems that minimize solar gain and improve energy efficiency in buildings.
1. Real Estate - Opportunity for real estate developers to invest in eco-friendly, multi-use buildings that attract luxury clientele.
2. Architecture - Opportunity for architects to create cutting-edge designs that incorporate reactive shading systems and promote sustainable living.
3. Smart Building Technology - Opportunity for companies to develop and implement smart building technology to improve energy efficiency and reduce environmental impact.