It's always great when we get to feature new inventions that could change the world for the better. Take this windmill for example. It's capable of turning salt water into pure, clean drinking water.
There are so many countries in the world that, despite being surrounded by ocean, suffer a serious lack of drinking water. There is no electricity required for the reverse osmosis system, so it could be an ideal solution for many third world countries. It's capable of producing enough water for 500 people in a single day. Water reservoirs will allow enough water to be stored for five days, so even in mild drought situations, or if there is not enough wind for a few days, there will be enough reserve water.
"The windmill was designed at the Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) in The Netherlands," DailyTech.com explains. "It runs by using the wind's mechanical force to pump water, and utilizes a high tech reverse osmosis membrane. The pumped water is pushed against this membrane at approximately 60 bar of pressure, and the salt is kept inside while pure water travels across the membrane.
"The windmill setup is estimated to 5 to 10 m3 of fresh water a day, based on the device's capacity at varying wind speeds."
This could be world changing. If these wind-driven machines were installed in nations in which people are being forced to drink contaminated drinking water, millions of diseases and deaths could be prevented.
High Tech Windmill Could Supply Millions With Water
1. Wind-powered Water Purification - The high tech windmill that turns salt water into pure drinking water presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for the water purification industry.
2. Renewable Energy Desalination - The wind-driven reverse osmosis system offers a disruptive innovation opportunity for the renewable energy and desalination industries, enabling the production of clean drinking water without the need for electricity.
3. Sustainable Water Solutions - The windmill's ability to supply millions with clean drinking water presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for sustainable water solutions, providing a viable option for countries with a lack of drinking water.
1. Water Purification - The wind-powered reverse osmosis technology could disrupt the water purification industry by offering a sustainable and efficient method for turning salt water into clean drinking water.
2. Renewable Energy - The wind-driven water purification system presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for the renewable energy industry, as it combines renewable power generation with water desalination.
3. Desalination - The high tech windmill's ability to convert salt water into pure water without the need for electricity provides a disruptive innovation opportunity within the desalination industry.