When I wrote about the now closed Berlin one-room billboard hotel in December 2007, I considered it more of an art project or experiment than a place people would actually sleep.
In March 2008, however, a friend of mine actually slept in it.
On the corner of Kommandantenstrasse and Neue Gruenstrasse one finds this billboard that disguises the hotel room behind it. The room has no windows, so it is definitely a room without a view.
Henri commented that when he stayed in the room, he had slept very comfortably, but he was a bit afraid people might build a fire under the room. Luckily the giant steel watchdog opposite the hotel room in the sculpture park watched over his safety.
When I went to visit him in his hotel room, I was surprised to find a real bathroom. There was water for the wash bin and shower via a reservoir. There was a chemical toilet and there was electricity.
My pictures show you could hang your clothes, a TV set and a drawer chest and an easy chair. All very doable.
The Swiss comment reads: "First sushi, then Victoria, thereafter Paul and finally here: Reason: Birthday!"
Etienne Boulanger Pod Hotel in Berlin
1. Pod Hotels - The rise of pod hotels presents opportunities for compact and efficient accommodation, perfect for budget-conscious travelers.
2. Billboard Architecture - The concept of integrating hotel rooms behind billboards opens up possibilities for creative and unconventional use of urban spaces.
3. Alternative Accommodation - The popularity of unique and experiential stays, like the billboard hotel, reflects a growing demand for unconventional lodging options.
1. Hospitality - The hospitality industry can explore the pod hotel trend to offer affordable yet comfortable accommodation for travelers.
2. Design and Architecture - The concept of billboard architecture presents an exciting opportunity to transform urban landscapes by incorporating functional spaces within billboards.
3. Tourism and Travel - The trend of alternative accommodation opens up opportunities for the travel industry to provide unique and memorable experiences for tourists seeking unconventional stays.