The Umit Benan Spring 2014 menswear collection had models wearing masks on the runway. Benan has done this before, but this runway show was designed to look like a mens-only Turkish café. To create this atmosphere, the men walked on carpets, marching to the beat of a darbuka. The men wore cartoonish masks that added traditional Turkish headwear and facial hair to their heads.
Accessories like sullen-faced masks, cigarettes and canes age the youthful models, furthering the illusion that the show took place in a smoky Turkish café rather than a runway in Milan.
Despite the elaborate atmosphere and accessories, the collection's garments are quite simple. Benan mixed stylistic details from traditional Turkish clothing with modern sportswear forms. Without all the props, the garments are mature, elegant and easy to wear.
The Umit Benan Spring 2014 Runway Show Had Models in Cartoonish Masks
1. Masked Runway Shows - Fashion brands could explore creating mesmerizing runway shows featuring models adorned in masks that can better tell a story or create an immersive experience for the audience.
2. Mixing Traditional with Modern - Brands across industries can mix traditional designs with modern features to create new products and attract new audiences.
3. Youthful Aged Accessories - Incorporating accessories that make models look older and more seasoned could become a popular trend across the fashion industry.
1. Fashion - Fashion designers could create masked runway shows to better showcase their designs and artistically express brand characteristics.
2. Film & Theater - The use of masks in film and theater productions could add a new layer to character development and storytelling.
3. Furniture - Creating furniture that mixes traditional design with modern materials and features could broaden the customer base for furniture brands.