Disney is lauching a new service in the US to allow parents to monitor how their kids use mobile phones. Parents will be able to keep track of voice, text, video and picture messages and set limits on their kids' calls.
And here's the kicker: the phone will allow parents to locate their children via GPS.
Disney is hoping to exploit an emerging niche market of mobile phone users aged 10 to 15 years. The company is targeting 20 to 30 million kids for the service.
According to technology analysts at Jupiter Research, about 45% to 50% of 13-year old Americans have their own phones. Among all teenagers with mobile phones, nearly two-thirds have their parents pay the bill. So, with kids demanding phones and parents paying for those phones, and with parents wanting to keep tabs on their kids' activites and whereabouts, prospects for this service look bright.
Whatever happened to kids just leaving notes on the refrigerator door when they're going out?
1. GPS Tracking for Children - There is an emerging market for GPS tracking services that allow parents to keep track of their children's whereabouts via their mobile phones.
2. Parental Monitoring of Children's Activity - There is a growing demand for services that allow parents to monitor their children's use of mobile phones, including voice, text, video, and picture messages.
3. Mobile Phone Usage Among Young Children - The percentage of young children in the US who own mobile phones is increasing, creating new opportunities for companies to develop products and services targeted at this demographic.
1. Telecommunications - Telecommunications companies can develop new products and services that cater to the growing market for mobile phones among young children and offer parents peace of mind through GPS tracking and monitoring features.
2. Consumer Electronics - Consumer electronics companies can develop mobile phones designed specifically for children that incorporate GPS tracking and monitoring features to address the needs of parents in this niche market.
3. Child Safety and Security - Child safety and security companies can explore opportunities to partner with telecommunications companies to provide parents with comprehensive solutions that address concerns about their children's safety and security while using mobile phones.