German automaker Mercedes-Benz has announced the launch of 'Tourguide,' a new navigation feature that will be included as part of the brand's signature MBUX Voice Assistant infotainment system. When activated, the new feature will offer drivers ongoing commentary regarding their route by pointing out interesting landmarks and signs.
Currently, the MBUX-integrated feature is only able to provide commentary for drivers taking the German autobahn network. The system utilizes the network's already existing brown landmark signs; when users pass one of these signs, Tourguide will begin describing the landmark and its details. According to Mercedes, the feature is compatible with over 3,400 signs throughout Germany and is available in all of its most recent vehicle models, including the EQS, EQE, C-Class, S-Class, and AMG SL.
Image Credit: Mercedes
Mercedes Launches Its New Voice-Activated 'Tourguide' Technology
1. Voice-activated Navigation - Companies in the automotive industry can develop voice-activated navigation cues for their vehicles to offer ongoing commentary regarding their route by pointing out interesting landmarks and signs.
2. Interactive Driving Experience - Automakers and tech companies alike can create interactive driving experiences in their infotainment systems by integrating innovative features like virtual in-car tour guides.
3. Smart Road Infrastructure - Government agencies and private companies can work together to develop smart road infrastructure that simplifies the navigation process for drivers and opens up opportunities for innovative features like Tourguide.
1. Automotive - Automakers can incorporate virtual tour guides and other innovative features into their infotainment systems to differentiate from competitors and attract tech-savvy consumers.
2. Travel & Tourism - In the travel and tourism industry, businesses can utilize virtual tour guides to create immersive experiences for tourists visiting new destinations.
3. Smart City Technology - Smart city technology companies can develop systems that enable better navigation capabilities on roads, including identifying and describing landmarks, to improve ease of transportation within cities.