Many elderly people have had to forego visits with children and grandchildren in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is something 'The Social Contact Pod' takes in stride to help offer a healthy way to aid visitation.
The pod was created by Scott Brownriggs in collaboration with Ramboll and Hoare Lea, and consists of two separate spaces where seniors can be kept apart from visitors as they visit them in the opposite side. This could work effectively to let families reconnect in hospices, long-term care facilities and rehabilitation centers where visitation has been suspended to keep inhabitants safe.
'The Social Contact Pod' is conceptualized with a construction achieved with low-cost CLT panels that could be rapidly setup for use and easily dismantled and recycled post-pandemic.
'The Social Contact Pod' Mitigates Contamination Risks
1. Social Visitation Pods - Opportunity to develop affordable and easy to install social visitation pods in long-term care facilities and rehabilitation centers to enable safe family reconnections.
2. Modular CLT Panels - Opportunity to create innovative modular construction using low-cost CLT Panels for post-pandemic use in various industries.
3. Remote Healthcare Monitoring - Opportunity to develop remote healthcare monitoring solutions using similar design principles to Social Contact Pod to enable elderly people and other vulnerable individuals to receive medical checkups in a safe and effective way.
1. Senior Care Facilities - Opportunity to innovate patient care and reconnect families during the pandemic by deploying social visitation pods in senior care facilities.
2. Construction - Opportunity for the construction industry to apply modular construction techniques and low-cost CLT panels to create sustainable and innovative housing solutions.
3. Healthcare - Opportunity to develop remote healthcare monitoring solutions for elderly people and other vulnerable individuals using similar design principles to the social contact pod.