The Reworks by industrial designer Finn Magee are playful revamps of the classic Casio F-91W wristwatch. The initiative revitalizes the retro watches by using a combination of craft and industrial processes to upgrade the band and redesign the iconic watch face. In doing so, The Reworks watches can be worn once again for everyday use. Drawing on a DIY mentality, this redesign process pushes back against the wasteful nature of consumerism.
The Reworks are retooled and handcrafted by Finn Magee. Magee's idea behind the watches was to redefine the Casio F-91W into something more positive given its historic links to global terrorism and anti-terrorism efforts. The Reworks are sold as an exchange service where old watches can be revamped or replaced.
Image Credit: Finn Magee
The Reworks by Finn Magee Transform the Classic Casio Wristwatch
1. Nostalgia Remakes - The reworking of classic products to revive nostalgia.
2. Craft-industrial Fusion - The use of both craft and industrial techniques to enhance products.
3. Sustainable Fashion - Revitalizing retro products as a counter to fast fashion.
1. Fashion and Apparel - Fashion brands could create sustainable and nostalgic collections by re-imagining classic fashion items.
2. Consumer Electronics - Product manufacturers can create reworked versions of classic products to appeal to nostalgia-seeking consumers.
3. Upcycling - Upcycling companies could offer services to revamp and redesign classic products such as vintage watches.