For his series of sumo wrestling photography, Daniel Ali traveled to a training academy located in a remote fishing village on the north coast of Japan.
The culturally significant sport has an illustrious history, dating back 2,000 years. Today, the champions are honored, revered and held in incredibly high esteem by the public. Students as young as twelve leave home to engage in the rigorous daily training they need to become future champions. Ali was able to witness the students’ transformation from smiling, joking youths to focused professionals, as they engaged in the demanding, three-hour dohyō training session.
The students completely immerse themselves in this rigorous lifestyle—and will continue to do so for the next six years—in order to prepare themselves for a potential professional career. Ali’s photos capture their unwavering determination, commitment and sense of hope.
This Sumo Wrestling Series Showcases Student Conviction
1. Sports Photography - Opportunities for photographers to explore and document various sporting disciplines, such as sumo wrestling.
2. Youth Sports Training - The continued interest of youth in sports that require physical skills, discipline and dedication, such as sumo wrestling.
3. Cultural Sports Tourism - The growing interest in cultural sports that present opportunities for travelers to engage in physically and mentally challenging activities, such as sumo wrestling.
1. Sports Apparel - Designing specialized clothing for sumo wrestlers that allow them to move more easily during training sessions.
2. Sports Education - Developing training programs that build the strength and agility needed for sumo wrestling.
3. Travel and Tourism - Promoting Japan's sumo wrestling culture and offering packages that allow tourists to experience the rigorous training of the sport firsthand.