Swedish architecture firm Wingårdhs has designed the Strandparken apartment building, an eight-storey residence made entirely from wood and located in the Stockholm suburb of Sundbyberg.
The property developer wished to examine sustainable possibilities for multi-occupancy residency. The building, which contains 31 apartments ranging in size, is most likely the tallest residential building constructed entirely from wood. The architects explain, "However, things are happening fast in this field, and I do not think the height in itself is their most interesting feature -– they could easily been taller if needed. Their main quality is that they make very comfortable, attractive and sustainable homes at a reasonable price."
Externally, the building shape mimics that of an archetypal house, complete with a pitched roof and gable ends. Indeed, the architects explain that the simplicity of the buildings are meant to identify with the more pragmatic houses of the 1940s and 50s.
The Strandparken Apartment is Constructed Entirely From Wood
1. Towering Wooden Architecture - Architecture firms are designing taller and more sustainable buildings using wood as the primary material.
2. Sustainable Multi-occupancy Residency - Developers are exploring sustainable and eco-friendly options for creating multi-occupancy residences.
3. Comfortable and Attractive Sustainable Homes - Architects are prioritizing comfort and aesthetics while designing sustainable homes with lower environmental impact.
1. Architecture - Architecture firms can leverage wood as a primary material to design taller and sustainable buildings with low environmental impact.
2. Property Development - Property developers can benefit from exploring sustainable options for creating multi-occupancy residences that are eco-friendly and cost-effective.
3. Construction - The use of wood as a primary material for constructing buildings has the potential to disrupt traditional construction methods and promote sustainable building practices.