The number of contraceptive options for women are ever increasing and launched in September the spearmint flavoured Femcom Fe became the world's first chewable birth-control pill.
Drug maker Warner Chilcott was granted FDA approval for the chewable pill which opens the door to a whole new market in which the US alone has over 11 million users.
Femcon Fe is simply a chewable version of the company's Ovcon 35, a birth control pill that has already been on the market for about three decades. It is targeting the pre-and early teens making it discreet and convenient to carry in credit card size package and comes with the added bonus of freshening your breath.
"Research has shown that compliance still impacts oral contraceptive failure rates, and anything we can do to make it easier for our patients to maintain a daily regimen is a notable advancement," said Dr. Laurent Delli-Bovi, medical director of women's health services at Chestnut Hill Family Planning Facility in Boston, in a statement. "We're excited to be able to offer a chewable formulation to patients looking for convenience."
1. Chewable Birth Control Pills - The launching of chewable birth control pills presents a disruptive innovation opportunity in the contraception market, especially for teenagers and other users who prioritize convenience and discretion.
2. Flavored Contraceptive Options - The introduction of spearmint flavored chewable birth control pills offers a disruptive innovation opportunity by providing a more pleasant experience for users, potentially increasing compliance rates and reducing failure rates.
3. Convenience in Medication - The development of chewable birth control pills showcases a disruptive innovation opportunity in the medical industry, as it addresses the need for accessible and portable contraceptive options.
1. Pharmaceutical - The pharmaceutical industry can explore the production of chewable birth control pills to tap into a new market segment and meet the demand for more convenient contraceptive options.
2. Contraception - The contraception industry can capitalize on the trend of flavored and chewable birth control pills to attract new users and improve compliance rates, resulting in a more effective contraception method.
3. Healthcare Technology - Healthcare technology companies can collaborate with drug manufacturers to develop advanced delivery systems for chewable birth control pills, enhancing their convenience and user experience.