The Sony SmartEyeglass is ready to pick up where Google Glass left off. The latest entrant into the smart glass field was shown at CES 2015, and the Japanese tech giant has just opened pre-orders for its developer edition. The Developer Edition SED-E1 will be given a soft launch, with tech professionals in most of Western Europe, the U.S. and Japan able to snag a pair. The glasses aren't exactly sleek, but they do pack a ton of tech.
They feature all the hardware you'd expect, such as an accelerometer, a brightness sensor and a gyroscope. A 3-megapixel camera sits inside the left lens and a microphone lets you issue commands. The Sony SmartEyeglass is noticeably bigger than Google Glass and contains a tethered controller. Abandoning subtly could be good idea as many people were turned off by the prospect of being secretly filmed or photographed by someone wearing Glass.
The Sony SmartEyeglass Will Soon Be Available for Developers
1. Smart Glass Technology - The trend of smart glass technology is disrupting the eyewear industry by integrating advanced features like cameras and microphones into eyewear.
2. Developer Edition Devices - The trend of developer edition devices presents a disruptive innovation opportunity by allowing tech professionals to test and create applications for emerging technologies like smart glasses.
3. Enhanced Wearable Functionality - The trend of enhanced wearable functionality drives disruptive innovation opportunities by incorporating sensors, accelerometers, and gyroscopes into eyewear for improved user experience.
1. Eyewear - The eyewear industry has the opportunity to capitalize on the trend of smart glass technology by developing and manufacturing innovative and stylish smart eyewear.
2. Technology - The technology industry can explore disruptive innovation opportunities by creating applications and software for developer edition smart glasses, enhancing the functionality and user experience of wearable devices.
3. Consumer Electronics - The consumer electronics industry can leverage the trend of enhanced wearable functionality by incorporating advanced features into their products, such as cameras and microphones, to attract tech-savvy consumers.