Smartify is a new, free app that is described as being the "Shazam of the art world," and has launched at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
The purpose of the app was to give consumers more context of the history behind various artworks and artifacts, and it "goes beyond audio guides and catalogs." Users of the app are able to download it, scan the piece of art they are looking at, and receive information about that artwork including history, similar pieces, and in some case the artist's voice to "provide a rich and interactive experience."
As those who preserve art and history are increasingly accommodating tech and interactive features to create more personal connections between art and its spectators, the Smartify app is an accessible and simple way to do this.
Smartify is Able to Scan and Identify Various Artworks
1. Artwork-identifying Apps - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop advanced image recognition technology to identify and provide information on various artworks.
2. Contextual Art Information - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create apps or platforms that provide detailed historical and contextual information about artworks to enhance the spectator experience.
3. Tech-enabled Art Appreciation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate technology in art spaces to offer interactive experiences and bridge the gap between art and spectators.
1. Fine Art - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop digital platforms or apps that enhance art viewing and appreciation.
2. Museum and Gallery - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate technology in museum and gallery experiences to provide interactive and educational features for visitors.
3. Art Preservation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilize technology to preserve and share art and historical artifacts, making them more accessible and engaging.