In 1999, former eBay President Jeff Skoll envisioned a nonviolent, sustainable and thriving world. With that vision in mind, he created the Skoll Foundation, based in Silicon Valley, California, with a stated mission “to drive large-scale change by investing in, connecting and celebrating social entrepreneurs and other innovators dedicated to solving the world’s most pressing problems.”
The Skoll Awards for Social Entrepreneurship, which are accorded annually, provide financial support for social entrepreneurs worldwide. In 2003, the Skoll Foundation launched the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, which focuses on research and education and is a vital network for social entrepreneurs to connect with each other.
The Skoll Foundation focuses on a wide range of crucial social problems and issues, including peace and security, economic and social equity, tolerance and human rights, health, environmental sustainability and institutional responsibility. “I want to live in a world where healthy communities flourish and where individuals are given the opportunity to use their talents and abilities to achieve their full potential,” says Jeff Skoll.
One of its most practical programs is Social Edge, an online community where social entrepreneurs and philanthropists can network, share resources, discuss social innovation issues and inspire each other to evoke change in the world.
The Skoll Foundation also promotes social entrepreneurship through media content. It has partnered with media organizations including the Sundance Institute, the PBS Foundation Social Entrepreneurship Fund and Rockhopper TV to allow journalists and filmmakers to showcase stories of social innovation and ensure public awareness of this growing sector.
The Skoll Foundation’s comprehensive approach has allowed it to become one of the pioneers of social entrepreneurship worldwide.
Skoll Foundation Website
250 University Avenue, Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA 94301
The Skoll Foundation Fosters Entrepreneurs Worldwide
1. Social Entrepreneurship - The Skoll Foundation accelerates social innovation by providing financial aid and networks to social entrepreneurs globally.
2. Online Communities - Social Edge, an online community by the Skoll Foundation, provides a platform for philanthropists and social entrepreneurs to connect, share resources and discuss social innovation issues.
3. Media Partnerships - The Skoll Foundation partners with media organizations to showcase stories of social innovation and promote public awareness of the sector.
1. Non-profit - Non-profit organizations can embrace social entrepreneurship to address global social challenges, following the Skoll Foundation's innovative models and programs.
2. Education - Educational institutions can establish centers and programs dedicated to social entrepreneurship, following the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, to create skilled human resources for the sector and accelerate innovation.
3. Media and Entertainment - Media and entertainment companies can collaborate with social innovation organizations, similar to Skoll Foundation's media partnerships to showcase social entrepreneurship and inspire more individuals and networks to get involved.