I've seen some pretty clever hybrid furnishings, but nothing quite like this side table rowing machine. While most designers who create composite objects are working to unify related functions, the Ram & Row makes a complete transformation from furniture to exercise equipment.
Patrick Saint-Martin designed this object to look inconspicuously simple as it rests in its most compact configuration. It resembles a basic wooden cabinet that's seemingly solid, thanks to its very slight seams between each fold-out component. Pick it up, though, and you'll notice that the box begins to come apart like an accordion, enabling you to extend its base into a long platform with tracks. The top of the end table turns into a seat and handles can be fed through. The invention of this side table rowing machine is indicative of the increasing demand for convenient home contraptions that don't take up much -- or really any -- space.
Side Table Rowing Machine Furnishes the Home and Facilitates Fitness
1. Transforming Furniture - Designing furniture with multiple functions to save space and increase convenience.
2. At-home Fitness - Creating innovative fitness equipment that can be used in the comfort of one's own home.
3. Hybrid Design - Incorporating multiple functions into a single product to increase value and convenience.
1. Furniture Design - Opportunities for designers to create furniture that serves multiple purposes, such as exercise equipment in this case.
2. Fitness Equipment - Opportunities to create innovative fitness equipment that fits seamlessly into the home environment.
3. Home Decor - Opportunities to create functional decor items that can be easily transformed into exercise equipment, providing consumers with added value.