Webmaster Dave from Shorpy Historical Photo Archive, gives us a rare glimpse of the 1940s by taking black and white images and infusing color into them.
The images, which show women building war planes, were originally taken by photographer Alfred T.Palmer for the Office of War Information. Somehow, adjusting the color and contrast of these images amplifies the reality and revitalizes these pictures. It is also interesting to see women getting their hands dirty and helping out the cause during a period, when women were expected to uphold very different standards in that era. During a time when very specific expectations were bestowed upon women including what sort of occupations were acceptable, these are very enlightening images to see.
Webmaster Dave from Shorpy Historical Photo Archive has been able to inject life back into these images, which were once used for record purposes.
The Shorpy Historical Photo Archive Reveals a Moment in History
1. Colorized Historical Photos - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a colorization technology or service that allows for a more efficient and accurate process of transforming black and white photos into color.
2. Recognition of Women's Contributions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create platforms or campaigns that highlight and celebrate the unacknowledged or underrepresented contributions of women throughout history.
3. Revitalizing Historical Records - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop technologies or techniques that enhance the quality and visual appeal of historical records, making them more accessible and engaging to modern audiences.
1. Photography - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms into photo editing software to automate the colorization process and improve accuracy.
2. Historical Documentation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop digital archiving solutions that preserve and present historical records in a visually captivating manner, utilizing techniques like colorization or interactive elements.
3. Gender Equality Advocacy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilize social media platforms and digital storytelling to promote awareness and recognition of women's contributions throughout history, fostering a more inclusive and equitable society.